Even though most high school seniors have submitted their applications to the college or university they hope to attend next fall, there are still some things you can do to make sure everything goes as planned.
According to Lee Bierer, here is a checklist that you should follow:
1. Remember to finish off your senior year as if you haven’t been accepted. In other words, even if you have received an acceptance letter, don’t get complacent!. Make sure you read every acceptance letter carefully since some of the colleges will undoubtedly explain that your acceptance is “contingent” on your senior year’s performance. Colleges will want semester grades as well as final grades, and if you happen to seriously slack off, your acceptance can, in fact, be rescinded.
2. Begin researching any merit-based and/or need-based scholarships. We recommend that you check each school’s website under “financial aid” and read the choices carefully. Scholarships will be listed there and students can see if a separate application is needed. (many times the student’s school application will be used to qualify).
3. Eventually, you are going to have to make a major decision on the actual college you want to attend if you are accepted to more than one. It’s a great idea to review each college you have applied to or been accepted to. Make a pro and con list for each college, being totally honest with what you like the most and least for each college. Don’t wait to do this until the last minute as May 1, 2014 will be here before you know it.
4. Have a “Plan B.” Hopefully you will receive that acceptance letter from your dream college, but remember that it might not happen. In the situation that you don’t get into that dream college, remember that as our client, you have other applications out and a “safety net”. We may need to discuss these options.
5. Take time to thank those who have helped you accomplish your goal. It is a great idea to make sure you thank any teacher, coach, counselor, or anyone else that has been instrumental in you achieving this awesome goal of going to college.
If you have any questions about what to do once you have finished applying to all of the colleges you are interested in attending, please give us a call and we can set up an appointment and discuss what you still need to accomplish.