With winter break right around the corner, most high school sophomores and juniors will look forward to a few relaxing weeks off. And yes, the rest will be needed, especially after the past few months of applying to colleges. But, in addition to some relaxation, high school students can also be productive in planning for their future.
The following is a list of tips you may want to consider while you are on your winter break.
1. Volunteer in your community. Think about an area of interest you have and consider volunteering over your break. This is an excellent time to help out in a plethora of areas. Check out the public library, a nursing home or hospital, or even a homeless shelter or community center. You may also check to see if your church needs help. You may also check with the United Way or VolunteerMatch to see if they need holiday help.
2. Study for the ACT or SAT. The last thing you probably want to do is study over the break, but it may be easier to study for these tests without the distractions of homework. In addition, you can increase your scores by studying some each day.
3. Visit a college or two. If you haven’t visited a college on your list, this is a great time to do so. Even though the school may not be in session, the admissions representatives should be working and you may be able to talk to them. If visiting a college is not a possibility, check out the websites for the colleges you applied to and see if they have a virtual college tour.
4. Search for scholarships. Since you will probably have some free time, you may want to start compiling a list of scholarships and begin applying for them. You can also call any of the service organizations in your area and see what is available.
5. Look for a short term internship. Your winter break could be a great time to explore a career. Think of something you would like to do and possibly spend time shadowing someone at his or her job. You will get good insight into what it takes to do a particular job.
6. If applicable, work on college applications. Even though some of the deadlines to apply may have passed, many schools you are looking into might have a later deadline. Take the time over your winter break to get these finished so you don’t have to worry about them once high school resumes.
If you have any questions, give us a call!