A new report on higher education put out by Pew Research shows that going to college and attaining a degree is still beneficial in a plethora of ways. According to the report, the numbers definitely prove that those getting that degree still have a distinct advantage.
The Report indicates that the millennial generation, those between the ages of 25 and 32, that have a college degree have median annual earnings of $17,500 more than those with just a high school diploma. And, if you take into consideration over a lifetime of 40 years, the college grad will make $700,000 more than someone with a high school diploma.
In addition, the report stated that last month, the unemployment rate of high school graduates was 6.5%, while the unemployment rate for college graduates was only 3.2%.
The report also had these findings:
1. A college education is worth more today than with the previous generation. There is currently a wider earnings gap between a college-educated individual and a less-educated person.
2. College benefits go beyond earnings. College-educated Millennials have lower unemployment and poverty rates than their less-educated peers. In addition, the students who earn a college degree are more likely to be married and less likely to live in their parents’ home.
3. College graduates are more satisfied with their employment. The report shows that the college-educated Millennials are more likely to be on an employment path to promotions and more money rather that just working a job to pay the bills.
4. The cost of not going to college has risen. The report states that Millennials who only have a high school diploma are worse off than their counterparts in earlier generations by almost every economic measure examined in the report.
5. College graduates say college is worth it! The report also shows that 9 out of 10 college graduates in every generation say college has been worth the investment.
So going to college and getting that degree can definitely pay its dividends. If you are a high school student preparing to go to college and need and advice and/or guidance, please contact us as we have a variety of programs that will help you get into college.